Monday, December 21, 2009

Juticalpa - our new home town

Juticalpa is the capital of Olancha and is two and a half hours from Tegucigalpa. The drive is mountaineous and drops down from the height of Tegus. Juticalpa is surrounded by mountains and this makes it scenic. It's very green and you pass through villages and see trucks on the side of the roads selling fruits etc. You see cows, donkeys and horses but unfortunately also vultures who are eating dead carcasses.

The road is mostly paved, and the last part into Juticalpa is a straight concrete road. The rumour is that this is used at night for small aircraft to land from Nicaragua with drugs which are then transported by land from here. I've since heard that the flights do come, but they land near the villages.




Juticalpa has about 30,000 residents and is a typical grid town with a plaza and church in the middle and roads going out from there. There is a market at the plaza and the odd small stores, restaurants and cafes. There is even a small mall in town, though it's limited in terms of shops. I'll have to wait for my trips to Tegus to do any proper shopping - or visits overseas.
I have yet to find a comprehensive supermarket and it looks like I'll be visiting multiple stores to do the weekly shop. So far we've found one restaurant that serves a little more than tortillas, frijoles and meat - or even chicken and chips. Believe it or not, I am missing salad and vegetables and I can't wait to have a kitchen again so I can prepare food! Or we can buy roasted elote (corn) which you see along the sides of the roads.
I'm enjoying discovering more about Juticalpa and Olancho.













No comments:

Post a Comment